Monday, November 26, 2007

Day 2 - Bay watch

My mom and my aunt flew in to San Francisco Monday, so on Tuesday I met them at their hotel in Fisherman's Wharf. I got there via the F line, which is serviced by restored vintage streetcars from other cities.

Cool streetcar/tram.

My mom had never been to SF so we had to do some touristy things: We went to Ghirardelli Square for chocolate, and then took a cable car down to Union Square. I'd never ridden a cable car before, and I'd forgotten that the cables actually run underground continuously and the cars just "grip" onto them. The cable car ride was fairly perilous. The Powell-Mason line goes up and down some crazy hills, and the car lurches around. Meanwhile all these elderly tourists want to hang off the side of the car, which was super-frightening to witness ... I guess they watched too many Rice-a-Roni commercials back in the day!

The beloved cable car.


We had lunch and did a little shopping in Union Square. Then we headed to Muir Woods to check out the redwood groves. We also went to Sausalito and then had dinner at a Chinese place in North Beach.

Very big redwood trees.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home