Tuesday, March 13, 2007

They're playing my song

Friday night I went to Rodeo Bar. I’ve been going there for over 12 years. The bartender mixes drinks inside an actual horse trailer, and there's quality free live music every night. They serve bad-ass margaritas and roasted peanuts. In short, it's difficult to find something negative to say about this place. Someone I know compared the band that was playing, the Niagras, to the Talking Heads. I guess there's some truth in that. The lead singer has a charismatic stage presence and is quite masterful at commanding audience attention. I only stayed for one set, but it was a fun show.

Last week was Japanese Restaurant week, so we had a GastroSnobs outing at Sumile Saturday night. They offered a 5-course tasting menu, which was a good deal. The food was fine, but the service was way off. Overall I think I'm fairly low-maintenance, but it's annoying when you're in a nice restaurant and the staff is screwing up - repeatedly.

Spent Sunday with Shani and Rick. We went to a spa and had dinner at Artisanal (overdosed on cheese fondue and kielbasa). Then went to Cake Shop to see Baxter's band, The Miracles. Had zero expectations for the music - for all I knew, they were going to be doing Smokey Robinson covers. As it turns out, they have a pretty experimental sound. Baxter was very passionate about playing bass, which was great to see. And I bumped into other ad people at the show. Apparently I’m not the only one who feels Sunday is an under-utilized day for socializing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home