Sunday, August 27, 2006

Are you always this much of an asshole, or am I getting special treatment?

Got a cold call from a recruiter named Steve last Friday. He said I was referred to him by my former supervisor. Fine. The position he called me about was interactive marketing director for a bank. Anyone who knows anything about me at all knows I do not belong in a bank. I tell him I'm not interested, but say if I think of someone who's appropriate I will tell them to call him. He becomes incredulous and defensive: How could I possibly not be interested in this job? I tell him I'm happy work-wise, and he goes off... traditional advertising is dead, blah blah blah. When I say I'm currently handling TV and Print for a brand launch, he changes tact and gets personal, telling me I'm getting too old to be in advertising and should plan for another future career. Excuse me? Trying to maintain some semblance of grace, I tell him I'm not accustomed to being spoken to in this manner, and he says it doesn't matter. Unbelievable. To Steve, whereever you are: you are one of the reasons recruiters have such a poor reputation. You would probably be more successful if you actually cared about your potential clients - who they are, what they're interested in and what positions they're best suited for.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. What an ass. You should warn everyone in advertising to hang up on "Steve" if ever he calls.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home