Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ooh la la

I saw the movie "Amelie" Friday night (now that it's been out for over 6 years). Really cute film. It probably was even more ground-breaking when it was first released, but I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. Have never been to Paris’ Montmartre neighborhood. Now it’s probably packed with American tourists searching for the Two Windmills Café.

To prove I do have some cultural timeliness I saw "2 Days in Paris" Sunday during its opening weekend. I laughed out loud.. a lot! I like the writer/director/actress Julie Delpy, particularly her relatively recent film "Before Sunset" (in which she also acted and co-wrote the screenplay). Her new film was also very dialogue-heavy (like Before Sunrise/Sunset), but had a good helping of neuroses.


Spotted: Parker Posey on the corner of 12th Street & 1st Avenue Saturday. While not French, she does visit Paris in her latest movie "Broken English."
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A family friend works at the "Two Mills café," and it's definitively real.

"Two days in Paris" started out cute: the equal opportunity boyfriend not carrying his girlfriend's giant suitcase; mean new yorker not helping fellow midwesterners at the airport but screwing with them; american boy getting ill as soon as he gets to paris - all my US friends always get allergies; French people's sex-centric conversations, etc.... But I thought the second half was not cute at all, with Julie Delpy's character turning psychotic, unrealistic, and becoming the main, less interesting subject of the flick.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Was wondering what you thought of this film; glad you'd seen it. I didn't like the latter half of the movie (when they were fighting) either. But Julie Delpy's character struck me as more passionate & perhaps emotionally unstable; it didn't bother me that much. But perhaps that's the NYer in me talking. Were you worried that she was poorly representing French women? ;)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home