Thursday, April 19, 2007

How is New Orleans doing?

In the 9 months since I was last in New Orleans, the overall vibe of the city seems to have improved. The Quarter and Garden District looked pretty good last year, but now they look beautiful. Especially Esplanade Avenue (which borders the Quarter) - most of the houses have been repainted and the yards have been cleaned up. There were lots more people (tourists) in the city this time, which was quite nice to see. Also the locals I spoke with seem less shocked, overwhelmed and uncertain than before. Not to say Katrina is a distant memory (far from it), but perhaps now that some time has passed, folks at least have a process in place for coping from day to day. Admittedly I did not return to the worst-hit areas (like Lakeview and the 9th Ward) during this trip. Unfortunately, I understand these neighborhoods have not changed significantly.

So the message is the same as several months ago - all is not OK in New Orleans. The city still needs lots of money and attention. However I feel the mood is less dire than during my last visit. And as I keep demonstrating, it is pretty simple to have a wonderful time there. Please go down for a weekend and drop some cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home