Monday, June 19, 2006

Cavorting with the enemy

The NYC chapter of the Louisiana State University alumni association hosted a crawfish boil Sat. afternoon at the Hudson Beach Cafe on the (way) Upper West Side. I attended/crashed with some fellow UGAers. 3000 lbs. of crawfish, 4 hours of open bar, and the Baton Rouge-based band The Terms.

Fittingly, it was the first properly hot & humid day in NY. You know you're in the company of Southerners when everyone is chowing down on very heavy jambalaya and very spicy crawfish *while drinking copious amounts of alcohol* in the mid-day sun. Eric warned me to look out for the dead crawfish; I didn't really see any. The crawfish were tasty, but it's quite an intense process to peel them to get to the meat.

Afterwards, we went south 25 blocks and stopped by the Boat Basin Cafe to watch the sunset. Because drinking outside for 4 hours just isn't enough. However, the Boat Basin is one of my favorite places in the city for drinks. I don't go up there enough. Nothing fancy, but very peaceful views of the boats, the river, and (dare I say) NJ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home