Thursday, May 25, 2006

Midnight train to Georgia

Rising gas prices and Delta's financial woes have resulted in out-of-control airfare to Savannah. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so yesterday I took Amtrak's Palmetto train down to Savannah. It was a long, but relatively uneventful ride. It was interesting to see how much rural, small-town NC looks like rural, small-town SC looks like rural, small-town GA. I read Anderson Cooper's memoir and enjoyed my new iPod Nano. Station to station, the ride was a little over 16 hours!! Though thankfully I wasn't travelling today - there was a major power outage in NY that snarled the trains.

The train got in last night around 10:30 pm, so I decided to stay overnight in Savannah's historic district. It was quite nice to be able to wake up and have coffee and read the paper on Madison Square.

My mom came down to meet me today. We wolfed down a lot of fried chicken for lunch at Mrs. Wilkes' boarding house, and then I bought 2 pairs of sandals. Thus furthering my habit of doing most of my shopping when I leave NYC.

The weather is great (to me) - sunny, low 90s and about 50% humidity. None of the NY crap we've been having that requires me to wear a wool pea coat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home