Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tuscan cowboys and deathly cocktails

Last night was the 1st 2007 installment of DOG (Dining Out Group). Met Robyn for a drink before dinner at Employees Only. This month Gail chose Maremma in the West Village. Solid choice, Gail! Everything was great & we licked our plates clean. Dug the grilled sausage appetizer (apparently the pigs are actually raised by the restaurant somewhere in upstate NY). Had a pasta called Moonshine (Fusilli in cheesy tomato sauce with bourbon) for my main course. The server inaccurately described it to me as "adult mac & cheese," but the dish was really good all the same.

After dinner, Gail & I went to check out a brand-new bar in my 'hood called Death & Co. When we arrived it was full, so the doorman took my cell phone #. We went to another place around the corner, and within a half-hour the guy called me to come back. Death & Co. is all about quality cocktails; asking for wine or a beer is silly. Because it was like 20 degrees outside, I ordered a hot buttered rum. The bar is cool but small, so unfortunately the door staff is needed to control the crowds to enable the bartenders to work their magic. Definitely worth a repeat visit. The door guys were very gracious, though I don't know how often I will have the patience to deal with a possible wait to get in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home