Saturday, November 11, 2006

On pins and needles

I’ve always harbored stress and tension in my back. Following a really bad Client call Wed. afternoon, my back was very tight. So yesterday morning I went to an acupuncture clinic Charles recommended. I had to fill out the requisite forms. The acupuncturist talked to me for about 45 min.; she spent about 30 min. figuring out where to place the needles, and then I had them in for about 30 min. I asked how many needles she was using & she told me 12. I was lying face down, but I think there was one in the top of my head, a couple at the base of my skull, some in the middle of my back along the spine, some in my lower back, and one in each ankle. I didn’t feel most of them going in; the others were just like a little prick. Surprisingly, the whole thing was really relaxing; I even dozed off. Charles and others who’ve had acupuncture told me they can feel energy moving around their body. I didn’t really feel anything, except maybe a release of the tension. The acupuncturist told me that sessions use up a lot of energy, so she said I should have a hot lunch and rest. I went into work, but it was pretty quiet. So after having a big lunch in the cafeteria, I went home and took a 2 hour nap before I went out for dinner. Basically acupuncture made me ravenously hungry and quite tired! However my back feels significantly better. The whole thing cost $35, which is way cheaper than a massage in NYC. And I think the acupuncturist detected and treated some problem areas in my back that massage therapists have never touched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home